Cancelled - Wodehouse Karst & Bill's Creek
Hosting Club: Beaver Valley
Location (Google Maps): Meet in the parking area on Sideroad 7A, access from 7th Line, not from Grey Road 7 which is not maintained at this time of year. Map 26
Hike Leader(s): Claire Ellenwood Click here to contact Hike Leader(s)
Terrain: Moderate, Some steep sections
Length of Hike: Approx. 3 hours km
How can you tell which plant is what in the winter? Hoping to get into the forest before it leafs out, we will be looking at bark, bud arrangements on twigs, as well as just where the plant is in the ecosystem which says a lot about narrowing down the species at any time of year. We will be identifying characteristics of some wild native carolinian deciduous forest trees and shrubs. Our leader Claire, is a local ecosystem restorationist, landscape designer, community greening consultant, and native plant nursery owner. This hike is slow (yes it will be a slower hike as botanists often crawl instead of walk along the Bruce Trail). The hike will go from Sideroad 7A to Bill's Creek and back. The creek is part of the Wodehouse Karst. After meandering underground for some time, it gushes out of the cliff face on this hike, down the Beaver Valley slope-- a dramatic site especially during spring thaw - a treat for landform enthusiasts to see.
- All kms mentioned are according to maps in Edition 29 of The Bruce Trail Reference.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before start of hike.
- Participants are expected to wear appropriate attire for the weather and the terrain. In summer, sturdy footwear is necessary. In winter, snowshoes or icers/crampons are needed when conditions dictate. It is a good idea to bring these items if there is snow on the ground and the hike leader will advise you as to the best footwear for the day. Hiking poles are a good idea in any season, especially if the terrain is rocky or slippery. Wearing appropriate clothing and footwear prevents injuries and shows consideration for a safe and positive group hiking experience.
- Always carry I.D. and your health card.
- Bring sufficient water and snacks (or lunch if indicated).
- For spring and summer hikes bring sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Please leave dogs at home.
- Pace: Leisurely = 3km/hr or less, Medium = 3-4 km/hr, Brisk = 4-5 km/hr, Fast = 5+km/hr