Snowshoe Trout Hollow Trail (with optional potluck to follow)
Hosting Club: Beaver Valley
Location (Google Maps): Meet at Beautiful Joe Park, 162 Edwin St. Meaford to carpool to the start of the outing on Sideroad 12/13
Hike Leader(s): Glenda Collings Click here to contact Hike Leader(s)
Length of Hike: 1 1/2 to 2 hours km
This is a historically significant area along the Bighead River in Meaford, once the home and workplace of naturalist John Muir, an early advocate for the preservation of wilderness and co-founder of the Sierra Club. This outing will be followed by a potluck at the home of Jack and Linda Morgan, 107 Lakeshore Rd. Meaford, arrival 4:30 p.m. You may participate in both the snowshoeing and the potluck or either one. Please register for the potluck as well if you intend to attend by emailing the Morgans at email@example.com or by phone 519 538 1115. Please bring a potluck main dish, salad or dessert. Also bring your own dishes, cutlery, glass and drink of choice. Hosts will provide tea and coffee. Potlucks will be held even in the hike is cancelled.
- All kms mentioned are according to maps in Edition 29 of The Bruce Trail Reference.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before start of hike.
- Participants are expected to wear appropriate attire for the weather and the terrain. In summer, sturdy footwear is necessary. In winter, snowshoes or icers/crampons are needed when conditions dictate. It is a good idea to bring these items if there is snow on the ground and the hike leader will advise you as to the best footwear for the day. Hiking poles are a good idea in any season, especially if the terrain is rocky or slippery. Wearing appropriate clothing and footwear prevents injuries and shows consideration for a safe and positive group hiking experience.
- Always carry I.D. and your health card.
- Bring sufficient water and snacks (or lunch if indicated).
- For spring and summer hikes bring sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Please leave dogs at home.
- Pace: Leisurely = 3km/hr or less, Medium = 3-4 km/hr, Brisk = 4-5 km/hr, Fast = 5+km/hr