Snowshoe Adventure Badge #1 Moonlit Sligo - Cancelled due to Saturday's impending weather event. Anyone who attends the other 3 Snowshoe Adventure Badge hikes will still earn the badge.
Hosting Club: Beaver Valley
Location (Google Maps): Meet on Sideroad 16C, km 87.9, Map 27, access only from 7th Line. 16C is not a through road from Grey Road 7. Park on the north side of the road near the entrance to the main trail, along the shoulder, facing west for easy exit after the outing.
Hike Leader(s): Glenda Collings Click here to contact Hike Leader(s)
Length of Hike: Aprroximately 7 km
Let's cross our fingers for a clear moonlit evening. Headlamps optional, it's beautiful with only the stars and moon lighting up the white snow. We will snowshoe on both the main trail and the Sligo Side Trail. There is a nice variety of landscape, from fields, to deciduous woods to evergreen forest. If there is not enough snow, the outing will still proceed, in boots, possibly icers. Please read the participant guidelines and hike rating system below.
- All kms mentioned are according to maps in Edition 29 of The Bruce Trail Reference.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before start of hike.
- Participants are expected to wear appropriate attire for the weather and the terrain. In summer, sturdy footwear is necessary. In winter, snowshoes or icers/crampons are needed when conditions dictate. It is a good idea to bring these items if there is snow on the ground and the hike leader will advise you as to the best footwear for the day. Hiking poles are a good idea in any season, especially if the terrain is rocky or slippery. Wearing appropriate clothing and footwear prevents injuries and shows consideration for a safe and positive group hiking experience.
- Always carry I.D. and your health card.
- Bring sufficient water and snacks (or lunch if indicated).
- For spring and summer hikes bring sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Please leave dogs at home.
- Hike Rating system - Pace: Leisurely = 3km/hr or less, Medium = 3-4 km/hr, Brisk = 4-5 km/hr, Fast = 5+km/hr